Saturday, November 28, 2009

Longernong College


                               I think  that is my father driving the machine




The College as the staging post for my fathers journey to Hillston, from Melbourne.
My father studied at Dookie Agricultural College and then went to Longerong where he taught and did some work with the late H.V Mackay who invented the harvester.
Whether some of that work is part of what is shown in these photos  I dont know for sure.........I seem to recall being told they were
A young man, Charles MacFarlane, a student, was instrumental in having my father and his great friend Bill Gamble move to Hillston to share farm at "Ace of Hearts" which was owed by Charles's father Thomas.  Sadly they did not succeed in beating  both drought and the great depression. 

It looks like people knew how to work hard (dressed in a suit)and to enjoy a picnic and relax with some very ancient cars. .






No comments:

Post a Comment